Licensed Dental Hygienists are required to renew their license no later than midnight, Eastern Time, on February 28, 2024.
The department will renew your license upon receipt of the following:
- Completed Renewal application
- Required fee
- Your current primary place of practice address
To ensure you receive notification from the department regarding the renewal, the Department must have your current mailing address on file. Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to renew before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department.
Any licensee whose license has been inactive for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who has not practiced for two out of the previous four years in another jurisdiction shall be required to appear before the Board and establish the ability to practice with the care and skill sufficient to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
Licensees requesting to reactivate their license from inactive or retired status are required to pay additional fees and comply with specific continuing education requirements. Please contact the board office at email@example.com to request your reactivation requirements.
If you are reactivating your license, please refer to the Laws & Rules governing your practice for additional requirements.
If you are a member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty who was in good standing with the board at the time of becoming active and was entitled to practice or engage in the practice of dentistry or dental hygiene in Florida, you may be eligible to be exempted from renewal requirements for the duration of active duty, and for a period of six months after discharge.
If you are the spouse of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you may be eligible to be exempted from licensure renewal requirements, in cases of absence from the state due to your spouse’s duties with the Armed Forces.
Volunteer Health Services Exemption
If you volunteer your services to the medically indigent residents of Florida with incomes at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level, you may be eligible for a waiver of your biennial renewal fee and some of the continuing education hours (no more than 25%) required for license renewal; however, the continuing education requirements for domestic violence, HIV and AIDS, and medical errors cannot be waived.
Public School Health Volunteer Exemption
If you volunteer your services in public schools for a minimum of 80 hours a year or if retired, at least 400 hours a year, you may be eligible for a waiver of your biennial renewal fee and some of the continuing education hours (no more than 25%) required for license renewal; however, the continuing education requirements for domestic violence, HIV and AIDS, and medical errors cannot be waived.
Current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, February 28, 2022
The process to renew a license can take up to three weeks to complete. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
Delinquent licenses that expired on February 28, 2022 become null and void on March 01, 2024.
Note: At least 90 days before your license expires, the department will mail you a renewal notification postcard to your last known address of record. You will have until midnight on the day your license expires to renew. Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to renew before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department
You may RENEW ONLINE if:
1.You do not need to change the status of your license
2.You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction
3.Your license status is not ‘Military, Active’
If you lose your user identification and password you may recover it by clicking Login Help. After logging in to the renewal system, licensees will be prompted to answer a series of questions and required to provide certain information, if appropriate. The renewal process typically takes 10-15 minutes and licensees pay their renewal fee by Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover when they are done.
- Go to www.flhealthsource.gov and click the “Renew A License” button.
- Enter your Personal Identifying Information (PII), then click the Login button.
- Confirm or update your MQA Services Account email address, then click the “Continue” button.
- You are now in the Dashboard. During renewals, a “Renew My License” option will populate no later than 90 days prior to your license expiration date. (Note: If you do not see the “Renew My License” option, please check back at a later time.)
*** If the “PII Failed” screen displays, click the “Other Login Option” button and enter your existing User ID and password to access your account.***
You must RENEW BY MAIL if:
- You need to change the status of your license
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction and need to pay using a cashier’s check or money order
- Your license is in ‘Military, Active’ status
- Your license is in a Volunteer status
- You need to request a name change
If your license is Delinquent/Active or Delinquent/Inactive you may still renew prior to the renewal deadline. The following actions must be taken prior to renewing your license:
- Prior to renewing your license, you must report your continuing education (CE) hours to the Department of Health’s tracking system.
- To renew a delinquent license, you will need to report your CE hours for your current cycle, as well as your previous cycle.
- If you did not complete CE courses in your last renewal cycle, you may complete them now and report them to the CE tracking system.
- To report course completion, log onto your MQA Online Account. From your dashboard, go to “Additional Activities” and select Report CE/CME.
Please note, when renewing your license, a delinquent fee will be assessed in addition to all applicable renewal fees.
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document. A social security card is not considered legal documentation.
Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
Certified check or money order should be made payable to the Florida Department of Health
Current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, February 28, 2024
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$80.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$80.00|
|Active to Inactive||$80.00|
|Inactive to Active||$160.00|
|Active to Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$55.00|
If renewing AFTER the Renewal Period (after 11:59 PM 2/28/2022 through 11:59 PM 3/31/2022) for licenses that expired on 02/28/2022, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$105.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$105.00|
|Active to Inactive||$180.00|
|Inactive to Active||$260.00|
|Active to Retired||$155.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$155.00|
If renewing AFTER the Renewal Period (after 11:59 PM 3/31/2022 through 11:59 PM 10/31/2022) for licenses that expired on 02/28/2022, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$155.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$155.00|
|Active to Inactive||$230.00|
|Inactive to Active||$310.00|
|Active to Retired||$205.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$205.00|
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent (after 11:59 PM 10/31/2022 through 11:59 PM 2/28/2024) for licenses that expired on 02/28/2020, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$235.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$235.00|
|Active to Inactive||$235.00|
|Inactive to Active||$315.00|
|Active to Retired||$210.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$210.00|
Delinquent licenses that expired on February 28, 2022 become Null & Void1 on March 1, 2022.
1Null & Void -The licensed practitioner failed to renew their licensure status for two renewal cycles, resulting in their license expiring.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
To locate board approved CE Courses for this profession, please click here
|REQUIRED SUBJECT AREA||REQUIRED NUMBER OF HOURS||IMPORTANT INFORMATION|
|Domestic Violence||2||Due every third biennium in addition to the 24 hour requirement.|
|Current CPR Certification||0||Must have a current CPR certification. Must also be a live course|
First Biennium Renewal: If you are newly licensed and renewing your license for the first time you are only required to complete 2 hours of HIV/AIDS
Board Rule Approved Providers
- American or National Dental Associations
- Florida Dental Association or its components
- American or National Dental Hygienist Associations
- Florida Dental Hygiene Association or its components
- Academy of General Dentistry
- A dental, dental hygiene or dental assisting school accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation
- A hospital, college, university, or community college, accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the United States Department of Education
- American Red Cross, American Heart Association, & American Cancer Society
- American Medical Association’s Liaison Committee for Medical Education
- Providers and courses approved by the Board of Dentistry listed in CEBroker
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- 6 hours (per biennium) for participating in dental hygiene exercise
- 6 hours for participating in pro bono dental hygiene services to the indigent residing in Florida (Credit calculated at a ratio of 1 CE credit for each 1 hour of patient services)
- 3 hours per semester/quarter if participating as part of a course at an accredited school as adjunct or part-time faculty. Restrictions apply.
- Up to 4 hours (per renewal cycle) for attending a meeting of the Board of Dentistry wherein disciplinary cases are considered.
Section 456.013: Department; general licensing provisions
Section 456.024: Members of Armed Forces in good standing with administrative boards or the department; spouses
Section 456.031: Requirement for instruction on domestic violence
Section 456.033: Requirement for instruction for certain licensees on HIV and AIDS
Section 456.035: Address of record
Section 456.036: Licenses; active and inactive status; delinquency
Section 456.038: Renewal and cancellation notices
Section 456.0635: Medicaid fraud; disqualification for license, certification, or registration
Section 466.013: Renewal of license
Section 466.014: Continuing education;dental hygienists
Section 466.015: Inactive status
Section 766.1115: Health care providers; creation of agency relationship with governmental contractors.
Section 766.1116: Health care practitioner; waiver of license renewal fees and continuing education
Florida Administrative Code