Dental Assistant/Expanded Duties FAQs

Dental Assistant/Expanded Duties FAQs

Expand allClose all

If I graduated from a board approved dental assisting program is it necessary to obtain the dental radiographer certification?

No, you are not required to obtain the dental radiographer certification if you completed a board approved program as part of your expanded duty training. Please see Rule 64B5-9.011, Florida Administrative Code.

What is the procedure to be certified as a dental radiographer through the Department of Health?

You may obtain dental radiographer certification through the Department of Health by filling out the application upon completion of three months of on-the-job training through assisting in the positioning and exposing of dental radiographic film under the direct supervision of a Florida licensed dentist and documentation of successful completion of a Board approved course which meets the requirements of Rule 64B5-9.011, Florida Administrative Code. The fee for the certification is $35.00, payable to the Department of Health. Dental Radiographer Certification

I graduated from a dental assisting program in another state that was accredited by the ADA’s Commission on Accreditation. What must I do now to practice in Florida?

Graduates of a dental assisting program accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation or a course or program approved by the Florida Board of Dentistry for the purpose of providing expanded duty training are approved to perform expanded duties in which he/she was trained. The certificate of completion must be posted in a conspicuous place in the dental office.

I have worked for many years as a dental assistant in another state. Will this on-the-job training fulfill the Florida requirements for expanded duties?

No. Although you may perform very limited duties as a dental assistant in Florida, in order to perform expanded duties you must have the training required by rule. Please refer to rule 64B5-16.005, Florida Administrative Code.


Can I transfer my dental assisting license from another state to Florida?

Florida does not offer reciprocity and does not license dental assistants; therefore you cannot transfer a dental assistant license from another state.