Current licenses expire February 28, 2018. Dental hygienists who hold a limited license are required to renew by February 28 of the even numbered years. No fee is required if you are volunteering your services and a fee waiver was submitted with your original application.
Current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, February 28, 2018.
The process to renew a license can take up to three weeks. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
Licensees requesting to reactivate their license from inactive or retired status are required to pay additional fees and comply with specific continuing education requirements. Please contact the board office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your reactivation requirements.
Delinquent licenses that expire on February 28, 2016 become null and void on March 01, 2018.
At least 90 days before your license expires, the department will mail a renewal notification postcard to your last known address of record.
You will have until midnight on the day your license expires to renew.
Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status.
Failure by a delinquent licensee to become active or inactive before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department.
Volunteers cannot renew online. Please select Log-In, select Renew License and then select Renew by Mail to print a renewal notice or contact the Board Office at (850) 245-4474.
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document. A social security card is not considered legal documentation.
Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
No fee is required if you are volunteering your services and a fee waiver was submitted with your original application.
If your status has changed please contact the Board office at (850) 245-4474.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
|REQUIRED SUBJECT AREA||REQUIRED NUMBER OF HOURS||IMPORTANT INFORMATION|
|Domestic Violence||2||Due every third biennium beginning July 1, 2006 and are in addition to the 24 hours required|
|Current CPR Certification||0||Must have a current CPR certification. Must also be a live course|
First Biennium Renewal: If you are newly licensed and renewing your license for the first time you are only required to complete 2 hours of HIV/AIDS.
Board Rule Approved Providers
- American or National Dental Associations
- American or National Dental Hygienist Associations
- Academy of General Dentistry
- A dental, dental hygiene or dental assisting school accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation
- A hospital, college, university, or community college, accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the United States Department of Education
- American Red Cross, American Heart Association, & American Cancer Society
- American Medical Association’s Liaison Committee for Medical Education
- Providers and courses approved by the Board of Dentistry listed in CEBroker
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- 6 hours (per biennium) for participating in dental hygiene exercise
- 6 hours for participating in pro bono dental hygiene services to the indigent residing in Florida (Credit calculated at a ratio of 1 CE credit for each 1 hour of patient services)
- 3 hours per semester/quarter if participating as part of a course at an accredited school as adjunct or part-time faculty. Restrictions apply.
- Up to 4 hours (per renewal cycle) for attending a meeting of the Board of Dentistry wherein disciplinary cases are considered.
Section 456.013: Department; general licensing provisions
Section 456.031: Requirement for instruction on domestic violence
Section 456.033: Requirement for instruction for certain licensees on HIV and AIDS
Section 456.035: Address of record
Section 456.036: Licenses; active and inactive status; delinquency
Section 456.0635: Medicaid fraud; disqualification for license, certification, or registration
Section 466.013: Renewal of license
Section 466.014: Continuing Education; Dental Hygienists
Florida Administrative Code