Click on the appropriate tab below to see the Renewal Requirements, Process, Fees and Continuing Education (CE) for a Limited License Dental Hygienist.
Current licenses expire February 28, 2020. Dental hygienists who hold a limited license are required to renew by February 28 of the even numbered years.
The department will renew your license upon receipt of:
- Completed Renewal application
- Renewal fee
Licensees requesting to reactivate their license from inactive or retired status are required to pay additional fees and comply with specific continuing education requirements. Please contact the board office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your reactivation requirements.
Current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, February 28, 2020.
The process to renew a license can take up to three weeks. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
Delinquent licenses that expired on February 28, 2018 become null and void on March 01, 2020.
At least 90 days before your license expires, the department will mail you a renewal notification postcard to your last known address of record. You will have until midnight on the day your license expires to renew.
Note: Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to become active or inactive before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department.
- Click the “Renew License” button.
- Enter your user name and password. Please note: Your user ID and password were mailed with your physical license. If you are having trouble accessing your account, please try the alternate login process, located at the bottom of the login screen. If you require further assistance, please contact the MQA Communication Center at 850-488-0595.
- Click “Renew License” from the column on the left hand side of the page.
You may RENEW ONLINE if:
- You do not need to change the status of your license.
- You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates ‘Clear/Active’ or ‘Clear/Inactive’, you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was ‘Delinquent, Active’ or ‘Delinquent, Inactive’ before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to ‘Null and Void’ status after the renewal deadline and you should contact your Board office for instruction.
You must RENEW BY MAIL if:
- You need to change the status of your license.
- You need to pay using a cashiers check or money order.
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- You need to request a name change
To Print Your Renewal Notice Online:
- Go to www.FLHealthsource.gov
- Click the Renew My License button
- You will need your user ID and password to logon
- If you do not know your user ID and password click on Login Help
- Once you are properly logged in, you may print your renewal notice by selecting the Renew License link, then click on the Renew by Mail option.
A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
If you are reactivating your license, please refer to the Laws & Rules governing your practice for additional requirements.
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document. A social security card is not considered legal documentation.
Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
Certified check or money order should be made payable to the Florida Department of Health
Current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, February 28, 2020
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$85.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$85.00|
|Active to Inactive||$85.00|
|Inactive to Active||$165.00|
|Active to Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$55.00|
If renewing AFTER the Renewal Period (on or after 2/28/2020 through 3/31/2020)
for licenses that expired on 02/28/2020, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$110.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$110.00|
|Active to Inactive||$190.00|
|Inactive to Active||$270.00|
|Active to Retired||$165.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$165.00|
If renewing AFTER the Renewal Period (on or after 4/01/2018 through 11/01/2019)
for licenses that expired on 02/28/2018, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$160.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$160.00|
|Active to Inactive||$240.00|
|Inactive to Active||$320.00|
|Active to Retired||$215.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$215.00|
120-Day Notified Delinquent Renewal (on or after 11/01/2019 through 2/28/2020)
for licenses that expired on 02/28/2020, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$265.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$265.00|
|Active to Inactive||$265.00|
|Inactive to Active||$345.00|
|Active to Retired||$235.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$235.00|
Delinquent licenses that expired on February 28, 2018 become Null & Void1 on March 01, 2020.
1Null & Void -The licensed practitioner failed to renew their licensure status for two renewal cycles, resulting in their license expiring.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
|Domestic Violence||2||Due every third biennium beginning July 1, 2006 and are in addition to the 24 hours required|
|Current CPR Certification||0||Must have a current CPR certification. Must also be a live course|
First Biennium Renewal: If you are newly licensed and renewing your license for the first time you are only required to complete 2 hours of HIV/AIDS.
Board Rule Approved Providers
- American or National Dental Associations
- American or National Dental Hygienist Associations
- Academy of General Dentistry
- A dental, dental hygiene or dental assisting school accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation
- A hospital, college, university, or community college, accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the United States Department of Education
- American Red Cross, American Heart Association, & American Cancer Society
- American Medical Association’s Liaison Committee for Medical Education
- Providers and courses approved by the Board of Dentistry listed in CEBroker
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- 6 hours for participating in dental hygiene exercise
- 8 hours for participating in dental clinical exercise
- 11 hours for participating in both exercises listed above
- 6 hours for participating in pro bono dental and dental hygiene services to the indigent residing in Florida (Credit calculated at a ratio of 1 CE credit for each 1 hour of patient services)
- 11 hours total for participating as an expert witness in disciplinary review cases
- 3 hours per semester/quarter if participating as part of a course at an accredited school as adjunct or part-time faculty. Restrictions apply.
- Up to 4 hours for attending a meeting of the Board of Dentistry wherein disciplinary cases are considered.
- 2 hours as an anesthesia inspection consultant
Section 456.013: Department; general licensing provisions
Section 456.031: Requirement for instruction on domestic violence
Section 456.033: Requirement for instruction for certain licensees on HIV and AIDS
Section 456.035: Address of record
Section 456.036: Licenses; active and inactive status; delinquency
Section 456.0635: Medicaid fraud; disqualification for license, certification, or registration
Section 466.013: Renewal of license
Section 466.014: Continuing Education; Dental Hygienists
Florida Administrative Code